Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 8: quiet but busy

Today was a quiet old day, yet somehow time seemed to slip away from us very easily.

Josie's been a little clingy and cranky in the time between breakfast and her nap for the last few days. While Pasc and Roh were happily up at the table painting, drawing and sticking, Josie was clinging to me like a limpet, so there was no sense trying to start the jobs I wanted to do for the morning (I really wanted to empty out the pantry and tidy it), so I arranged the beanbags in front of the telly, plopped her down on her green one and we settled in to watch the morning's Play School. It wasn't too long before there was a larger audience ;-)



She had a lovely time watching and dancing, before her concentration waned and she'd found her way to the Christmas tree, possibly suggesting to be that it should be taken down by now by taking off bauble after bauble and bringing them to me. How kind.

After this, Josie went off to nap, Rohan and I fed the chickens and checked the mail, and a little bit of housework followed. 

After lunch and once Josie was awake and had eaten (a bit later than the older two), we needed to zip out to grab a few things from the supermarket. We did a little window shopping at the same time, mostly in the ABC Shop, where Pascal kept finding things to add to her birthday list, as did Roh, but since his birthday is so far away, I suggested to him that he might like to start earning money to pay for some of the new Octonauts things he's coveting.

I've decided I'm not particularly keen to go back to the supermarket these holidays unless I'm either on my own or only have Josie with me. It's as though the second we walk through those self-opening barriers, the crazy descends on my children. Yesterday we'd barely made it through those gates when people were staring at me because I was barking at the children. I made them listen to me as I spoke calmly to them, and repeat back to me the supermarket rules (no running, no jumping on the trolley were the main ones), but it still didn't seem to work so well. It was only in the cereal aisle that the perfect ammunition presented itself. Pascal asked for Milo Flakes. We have a rule that we only buy these for holiday-time and when they are on special. Unfortunately both of these conditions were filled yesterday, so I created a new proviso. They could go into the trolley, but if anyone ran, or jumped on the trolley or otherwise didn't do as I asked, they were going straight back on the shelf. It was a relatively pleasant remainder of the visit.

By the time we made it home, it was time to think about dinner, which was meant to be a chicken curry, but tonight I opted to use leftovers from last night and postpone the curry so that I could manage a little extra tidying. Then Luke was home. We fed the worms in our new worm farm scraps for the first time, then Josie came over while I fed the chickens again and Luke was busy repairing the irrigation connections to the tap near the chicken run. She had a great time using one of the garden beds as a sandpit!

Back in to pulled pork dinner, stories and bedtime for kids.

No cricket tonight (and we were most disappointed with the Hurricanes last night, they managed to lose the match that seemed unloseable), but we did get sucked into a scary program or two about hoarders. I usually avoid this kind of television, but tonight I couldn't resist. There was a man who had to crawl into his house over piles of 'newspaper archives'. I'm not sure if these programs make me feel better about myself so I can relax, or make me more determined to declutter so that these things can never happen to me.

And our unit is on the market! The first open home is on Saturday, I hope someone loves it and buys it!



No comments:

Post a Comment