Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6: easing back into normality


With Luke back at work today, we had a much earlier start than we've had since Christmas Day. 

The children were all sleepyheads (Josie did that freaky thing where she was in exactly the same position she'd been in when I checked on her the night before), so we ate breakfast with just the two of us, still enjoying the rhubarb I cooked up on the weekend. The kids started stirring as Luke was about to leave, a little before eight.

After Luke had left, I helped myself to a second coffee while the kids enjoyed their milk, and soon enough it was Weet-Bix all round for them. Perhaps I'm not feeding Josie enough, because after she'd finished her one and a half Bix with a generous helping of rhubarb and left the table, she demonstrated her new reaching-up-to-the-table skills and pulled down Pascal's abandoned bowl to finish hers off. We always used to find Rohan in the pantry finding snacks for himself, and perhaps Josie will be the same!


Eventually, after gathering together library books and DVDs from all over the house we were ready to head out to the library. I'd received an overdue notice on a Wiggles CD which I was quite sure I'd returned, and did a bit of a race around, finding the CD itself on a fairly obvious shelf (where we don't actually keep CDs anymore) but I couldn't find the cover anywhere. For some reason I decided to look in the CD-cover-graveyard (a box where I put broken CD covers and torn CD inserts/leaflets) and there it was! Unscathed. I have no clue why it was there, but there it was, and the crazy amount they were threatening to fine me with is now waived. Phew.

Visits to the library are usually a bit crazy with Pasc and Roh zipping around and collecting books and DVDs willy nilly. I don't often limit the number of books they choose (but I usually limit to two DVDs each for the older two), because I'm very pro-books, but I am getting a little tired of checking multiple library cards online to see which books are due for returning, or needing renewal, or are overdue. Today I decided they could select three books and one DVD apiece (also giving them some selection rights for Josie) and it was an amazingly calm, ordered experience. They seemed to make more considered choices. I did try to encourage Pascal to choose something other than the Max and Ruby book she'd chosen, but she was insistent (I'm really not a fan of Max and Ruby). Then I had a brainwave, she could borrow it, but she had to read it entirely herself. And she went for it! She's a great reader, but she still loses her confidence quickly if she stumbles on one or two words. What a great way to foster her confidence (I hope).

The kids were keen to get home to watch the Mickey Mouse Three Musketeers DVD which Roh had chosen, so it was home, lunch, then a little couch potato-ing for the kids. It was a cold and blustery day, so an afternoon slumping around in beanbags didn't seem too bad. It had even crossed my mind to light the fire (in January!), and I've been spending lots of time in a cardigan and ugg boots over the last few days. 

A little housework for me while Josie slept (ugh, the ironing. Pascal likes to help and spray on my water-nd-fabric-softener mist for me which is sweet, but slow), including trying out my new Enjo window cleaner. I confess my windows are absolutely filthy. They're disgusting. I tried it out on one window, inside and out and wow! It's not perfect, but to go from ugh to oh-so-bright-and-shiny-looking in one or two sweeps is staggering.

Late in the afternoon, Pasc asked me to film her acting out a scene with her Lego Friends figures. I do need to brush up on my skills as I have a terrible habit of holding the iPad with my finger over the microphone. 

Leftover homemade pizza for dinner (yum, and easy), then we finished reading Pippi Longstocking with the kids for bedtime stories. She's simply delightful, funny and feisty, and I dare say, probably very ahead of her time. I've heard mention that the Stieg Larsson Girl With The Dragon Tattoo main character (whose name escapes me just now) is possibly based on Pippi. I can kind of see it as feasible, but hadn't made any connection myself.

Kids to bed, then while Luke played a little Mass Effect 2 I watched my guilty pleasure (Neighbours). It really is not good television, but we all need a little trash in our lives! As I watched I knitted a little more on Josie's Cricket. I'm working down the body right now, with no interesting turns until I reach the pockets (about three more inches of mindless knitting before then), and continued knitting until Luke joined me on the couch and we cracked open Season 6 of The Sopranos. 




No comments:

Post a Comment