Friday, January 17, 2014

January 14, 15, 16: oh dear, it's a slippery slope

Golly gosh, I missed one post over the weekend and my blogging week fell apart. I think I have a new tactic, so we'll see next week whether it has helped :-)

Tuesday

Come Tuesday, the weather forecast was for a hot hot day, so we began with a plan of staying home with all the curtains and blinds closed!

Pascal managed to wake and get up early early early. By the time I hopped out of bed, she was already at the table drawing pictures of the ninja turtles and April. She drew seven or eight, then after breakfast she joined them all in a line with sticky tape and then went looking for somewhere to put it on a wall. We ended up blu-tak-ing the whole thing to the wall in the hallway (it's probably time it came down....).

As soon as the kids were breakfasted, I braved the outside world to feed and water chickens, water the garden super-deeply and (while I had the hose out) wash out and refill Josie's water table ready for a hot day's splashy fun.

While I hung a load of washing, Josie joined me outside to start splashing. She was ever so industrious carrying spoonfuls of water from the water table to a nearby tub. Before long, Rohan joined her and it was time of a change of clothes!

Josie came inside for a fruity snack, then was off to bed, and Pasc and Roh helped me to make popcorn for morning tea.

The afternoon, being so hot, was a lazy one, except for tidying our room (dust bunny eradication) and changing the sheets. Pascal and Rohan have also been asking to change their covers, but I told them their rooms need to be tidy first. I thought I should follow my own rule. After this I was too worn out to even think about hassling them to help me in their rooms, so theirs will be for another day.

While waiting for our pizza to heat, after Luke arrived home, Roh went back to building his Turtle van and Pasc started the small set she received from Santa's helper at Dee's Christmas Party, Mia's Bedroom. She's really improving at following the Lego instructions, and hardly needed any help at all.

 We ate our pizza for dinner, so glad to not have to cook!

Over the last few days, with all the Lego building the kids have been doing, we've been thinking about sorting all of the loose Lego into sets so they can easily be rebuilt, and so that only the mixed tubs are used for creative building (Rohan is a very ingenious builder, he creates some amazing vehicles). So after dinner, we threw all of the Lego we could find into tubs ready to start. Oh my goodness. What have we done??

Before we began, we went out (as soon as the kids were in bed) to refresh the garden and check the chooks. I looked up from outside the garage and saw Pascal standing in our room, asking to go to sleep in our bed........ok, I say, then another voice comes from Rohan's room asking to do the same. Sigh, ok. It was 10pm before they ended up going back to their own beds and finally sleeping a little while after. It's easy to be cranky with them, but I still remember such hot nights as a child where it is impossible to sleep. Poor things.

With no real idea where would be the best place to start with the Lego, we began with one of the biggest sets, Rohan's fire truck/boat/buggy set (after sorting the bulk of it into obvious Friends Lego and everything else). By 11pm, we were maybe 1/3 of the way through, with plenty of things on the can't find list. We continued to an easy-to-remember-where-we're-up-to spot, and headed to be way too late at midnight!

Wednesday

We'd originally planned to pop into town today, because of a forecast cooler day, but on seeing that Thursday was looking even cooler, we postponed to then.

We kept today another quiet one.

Rohan saw all the tubs of Lego on the stairs (the gated stairs up to our upstairs rumpus room, aka, the Lego and yarn room!) and really wanted to play with it, so when Josie went for her nap, I brought down the little suitcase of Lego that Nanny gave him for his latest birthday. I wanted Pascal to have something to creatively build too, so I had the bright idea of reuniting all the pieces of Pascal's little Brickmaster set. I thought it would all be very easy, but I just ended up doing a lot of sorting, and very little reuniting. It did get us a few steps ahead for the night's fire truck continuation, though! Luckily, Pascal wasn't too disappointed. Being my little couch potato, she was happy flumphing around!

 We made banana and date muffins for morning tea, and managed a little of the tidying we needed to do in Rohan's room.



In the afternoon, we were a little lazy, but that's what school holidays are for, right? Except for Josie, she kept scaring me with her couch acrobatics!



Luke brought home an easy-to-cook dinner for us. He visited the supermarket and bought some battered and crumbed frozen fish and crinkle cut chips. I normally shy away from such things, preferring to crumb my own freshly bought fish and chip potatoes for myself, but there are times when the easy road is better. And you know what, it was actually quite delicious.

In the early evening, I started the knitting for the Mystery KAL I'm taking part in. I think I've already mentioned it? I didn't get very far before it was Lego time! We did manage to complete the fire truck. There are a couple of pieces still to find, but nothing too rare or expensive (if we end up needing to order pieces). And we also caught up with the second part of the show on the chap in England who had so many newspapers stacked up he needed to crawl into his house. These programs are hard to watch and hard not to watch. You have to feel for these people, such hoarding tendencies are a real sickness.

Thursday

Today, we ventured out (relatively) early to go visit Daddy at work. The kids just love going into Luke's office and seeing him at work. 

We parked in the Argyle Street car park, and this was the first time I'd parked our new car ("it's not a car mum, it's a van": Rohan) in one of the city car parks, and even though I knew we were ok for height, because we fit under the maximum height 2m sign without bumping it, it was a scary drive. I kept ducking my head, because it really felt like we were about to scrape on the beams! Eeks!

We met Luke up at the office, and headed out to Oomph for a coffee. The kids all enjoyed babycinos, Luke a flat white (it was their Romeo blend, and he really loved it. I might need to buy that next time I buy ground coffee, just for a change. I usually buy the Tiger Bean), and myself, a dark hot chilli chocolate. It was ok, but I prefer their Hot Mexican, I think. This one didn't have enough of a chilli hit.

We saw Luke back off to work, headed to Beauty and The Bees for shampoo and conditioner (unfortunately, we missed seeing Lani, she's away at the moment) then I made the mistake of taking the kids into the ABC shop for a browse. If I hear the words I want... again, I may scream.

From there, I wanted to head to Target for school socks, but the direct route goes through the Cat and Fiddle Arcade. Pascal is still terrified of the Cat and Fiddle wall (for those not versed in the joys of the Cat and Fiddle Arcade, there's an animated Cat and the Fiddle scene which operates for about fifteen seconds on the hour, every hour and enacts the nursery rhyme. If you think about it critically, it's not that flash, but it's a Hobart institution, and  a fondly remembered part of any Hobart adult's childhood) but I didn't want to go the super-long way around, so I snuck us though Harris Scarfe (I still call it Fitzgeralds, after goodness knows how many years!) and out to the upper level into Target. Poor Pascal, she freaked out when she realised where she was. I wish I knew what to do to help her get over it. When I ask what's so scary about it, she says she doesn't like the way it looks. Ok, I admit it's a little creepy to look at, but as a kid, going to see the Cat and Fiddle was one of the highlights of a trip to town with Mum (as well as a visit to either the Fitzies or Coles cafes or, before it burnt down, the cafe whose name I just can't seem to recall right now, where Sportsgirl is now) . 

We got our socks (which I've since sent back with Luke to return after I found better socks at half price  in the supermarket just half and hour later), and some new undies for the kids (TNMT and Barbie), and then to the supermarket, after a snack and a quick play on the play area in Wellington Walk. 

Spot the children!



Poor Roh was complaining of a "funny tummy" as we got to the supermarket, but after weighing up the options of him possibly vomiting in either the car or the supermarket aisle, we chose the supermarket. I let him sit in the trolley, and he seemed to improve. And yes, I broke my resolve of not going back to the supermarket with all the kids these holidays. I just didn't get around to organising an online shop. Sigh.

After we were done with the shopping we had a super-long wait for the lift back up to the car, but finally we were in one and on our way. Josie hit herself a big milestone right then, every time the lift door opened onto a level in the car park, she pointed out and really distinctly said "Car!". I gave her big smiles and claps. It made everyone else smile, too. It made my day!

Home, then, for lunch and a snooze for Josie. And me. I lay on the couch for a little rest at about 3.30pm and ended up going to sleep, with Pascal lolling about on me. I woke after 5pm! Oops. But clearly I needed it!

We took the night off Lego, instead catching up on a little telly. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment